COFFEE KOMBUCA RECIPE:
• 4 quarts brewed coffee
• 1 cup sugar plus 1 TBS sugar
• 1 kombucha SCOBY
• 1 TBSP brewed and unflavored regular kombucha (since coffee is naturally acidic there is no need to add any Kombucha, but I did to try it out)
1. Add the sugar to the coffee while it is still hot and stir to dissolve.
2. Let the coffee cool to room temperature.
3. Pour the brewed coffee into a gallon size glass jar.
4. Add the SCOBY and the 1 Tablespoon of brewed kombucha to the jar.
5. Cover with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and a rubber band.
6. Let sit at room temperature for 3-5 days or until it reaches desired flavor. It will still be slightly tangy and bitter at this point.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR 2nd FERMENT (Not necessary to do if you want to drink as is)
1. Remove the SCOBY and use to make a new batch.
2. Pour the brewed coffee kombucha into quart size mason jars or bottles for the second ferment.
3. 1/4 simple syrup (Divide the simple syrup into jars if using more than one- (1/4 cup simple syrup – 2TBS Sugar dissolved in 2 TBS hot water)
4. 10 drops vanilla or English Toffee flavoring
5. Place airtight lids on the glass jars and leave at room temperature for an additional few hours for a second ferment. This will add carbonation and a little more sweetness to the brew.
6. Refrigerate and serve cold as desired. I recommend serving over ice and adding coconut milk. I use raw goat milk in mine.
If you want, you can make half a batch with only 1.5 quarts of coffee and ½ cup sugar.
I will use Cinnamon to flavor mine in the second ferment! Feel free to use any flavoring; almond, anise, etc.
Coffee has oils and can potentially become rancid so I make sure to wash all my utensils and jars in White Vinegar/Filtered water mixture to kill any bacteria that can taint my brew.
I also use all Organic Non-GMO ingredients for all my Kombucha brewing.